Mozilla, the company behind the Firefox web browser, shared a ‘Privacy Not Included’ gift list to give an idea of how much data certain gadgets collect with or without your knowledge. Based on this, it ranks each gift on a scale from ‘a little creepy’ to ‘super creepy’ with a corresponding emoji.
The guide includes 70 products, and only 32 got Mozilla’s badge for meeting minimum security standards. Mozilla says, ‘To receive a badge, products must: use encryption; have automatic security updates; manage security vulnerabilities using tools like bug bounty programs and clear points of contact; and require users to change the default password if a password is required.’
You can check the list below for some ranking examples. Note that CNET didn’t independently test or verify these claims.
- Nintendo Switch — a little creepy
- Apple TV — somewhat creepy
- Peloton Bike — somewhat creepy
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Water Bottle — very creepy
- Amazon Echo — very creepy
- Fredi Baby Monitor — super creepy